Tuesday 10 February 2009

Of male and female nouns

I don't know much French. Ok, I'll be honest - I don't know French at all. And not willingly. When I was in school, I had the option of studying either German or Sanskrit as an additional language. I took up German and loved it. But my point is that if they had offered me French back then, I would have known not to call myself a flâneur everywhere on this blog! Because, as I learnt today, the female version of flâneur is flâneuse. Oops!

Changes made in the appropriate sections of the blog. And that's one more reason to the long list of reasons I want to learn French. Any good recommendations for Beginner French lessons in Central or West London?

2 comments:

  1. Funny!
    une bourde :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. German is not much better when it comes to assigning a relevant gender to nouns. Read Mark Twain's "Awful German Language" for some nice examples.

    2. The French have a nice response to your problem. The say "tant pis".

    ReplyDelete